The Shrewsbury Public Library consisted of a new and renovation project to expand the original 1903 Howe Memorial Library with a modern addition that complements the existing historic architecture. The 1923 annex and the 1979 addition, as well as an adjacent 4,700 SF town-owned building were demolished, and a new 32,000 SF addition was constructed. The addition consisted of a one-story wing to the west of the 1903 building and a three-story wing to the east of the 1903 building. The Library services were relocated to temporary quarters during the construction of the renovation/expansion project. The completed library was fully accessible throughout construction and contained spaces for a learning center for technology, public computer stations, group study and community use, including a multi-purpose meeting room, common area, and a local history room.
This project was awarded the renovation and modernization award <20 million, by the Construction Management Association of America’s Massachusetts Chapter (CMAA).