The Philip G. Coburn Elementary School serves a densely populated neighborhood in the Town of West Springfield. The building project consists of a new three-story public elementary school building, associated site work, landscaping and demolition of the existing school (built in 1926) and ancillary residential on the site. The gross area of the new building is approximately 120,000 square feet. The new school is designed to relate to the residential scale of the neighborhood it resides in and is designed for 705 students in grades Kindergarten through 5th plus six sections of Pre-Kindergarten. The design prominently locates the administration area near the entrance, and includes a high school-sized gymnasium, a cafeteria designed to accommodate three lunch waves and a stage that could support either the gym or the cafeteria.